donderdag 1 november 2012

engels grammar toets 67 t/m 98

dit is alvast t/m 83, de rest komt vanavond nog van Annelore!


After a passive (was seen) we use to:
He was seen to get in the car.

Somebody did something + I saw this à I saw somebody do something
Somebody was doing something + I saw this
à I saw somebody doing something

I saw him do something = he did something (past simple) and I saw this.
à I saw the complete action, from beginning to end.
I saw him doing something = he was doing something (past continuous) and I saw this.
à I saw the act while he was in the middle of doing it, not the complete action.

Sometimes you can use both forms:
I’ve never seen her dance          I’ve never seen her dancing.

Examples:
• I didn’t hear you come in. (you came in – I didn’t hear it)
• I could hear it raining. (it was raining – you could hear it)

-ing clauses
If the –ing clause is at the beginning of the sentence, we write a comma (,) after it:
Feeling tired, I went to bed early

When two things happen at the same time, you can use an –ing clause:
•Kate is in the kitchen making coffee (= she is in the kitchen and making coffee)
•Don’t just stand there doing nothing!

We also use –ing when one action happens during another action. We use –ing for the longer action:
•Joe hurt his knee playing around (= while he was playing)
•Did you cut yourself shaving (=while he was shaving)

You can also use –ing after while or when:
•Joe hurt his knee while playing football.
•Be careful when crossing the road.

When one action happens before another, we use having (done) for the first action:
Having found a hotel, we looked for somewhere to eat.
Having finished her work, she went home.
è You can also say After... –ing:
After finishing her work, she went home.

If one short action follows another short action, you can use the simple –ing form (doing instead of having done) for the first action:
Taking a key out of his pocket, he opened the door.

You can also use –ing clause to explain something, or to say why somebody does something.
The –ing clause usually comes at the beginning of the sentence:
Feeling tired, I went to bed early (=because I felt tired)
Being unemployed, he is poor (=because he is unemployed)
Use having (done) for something that happened before something else:
Having already seen the film twice, I didn’t want to see it again (=because...)
Countable
Uncountable
•I eat a banana every day.
•I like bananas.
Banana is a countable noun.

A countable noun can be singular (banana) or plural (bananas)
•I eat rice every day.
•I like rice.
Rice is an uncountable noun.

An uncountable noun has only one form (rice).
We can use numbers with countable nouns. So we can say ‘one banana’, ‘two bananas’.
We can’t use numbers with uncountable nouns. We can’t say ‘one rice’ etc.
Examples:
•Kate was singing a song
•There’s a  nice beach near here.
•There are no batteries in the radio.
Examples:
• There’s sand in my shoes.
• It was bad luck.
• There is no electricity in this house.

You can use a/an:
•I want a banana.
•There’s been an accident.

You can’t use a/an, but you can say a... of:
A bowl of rice.
• I eat rice every day.
You can use some and any:
•We sang some songs.
You can use some and any:
•We listened to some music.
You use many and few with plural nouns:
•I have a few things to do.
You use much and little with uncountable nouns:
•We didn’t do much shopping.

Words can be used as countable and uncountable nouns:
•Did you hear a noise just now?                             •There’s too much noise.
•There’s a hair in my soup!                                       •You’ve got very long hair.

Drinks (coffee, tea) are uncountable, but you can say a coffee (= a ... of):
Two coffees and an orange juice, please.

Sommige woorden kun je niet gebruiken met a/an ervoor, maar als je een stuk ervan neemt kan je het woord wel weer gebruiken:
•I’m going to buy some bread                                 •I’m going to buy a loaf of bread.  

Countable
Uncountable
I’m looking for a job.
What a beautiful view.
That’s a good suggestion.
I’m looking for work.
What beautiful scenery!
That’s good advice.
Er zijn een aantal uncountable nouns die geen plural hebben:
•Where are you going to put all your furniture?

Use a/an to describe somebody’s job:
•Sandra is a nurse.
•Do you want to be an English teacher?


There are two different ways to use ‘some’ with plural countable nouns:
1.) Some = a number of/ a few of/ a pair of
Some friends of mine are coming over tonight.
•I need some new sunglasses.
Do not use some when you are talking about things in general:
•I love bananas.
2.) Some = some, but not all
Some children learn very quickly.


Compare:
A man and a woman were sitting opposite me. The man was American, but I think the woman was British.

We use the when we are thinking of a specific thing (or when there is only one of something):
•Tim sat down on a chair.
•Tim sat down on the chair nearest the door.
•Have you ever crossed the equator (=evenaar).

We use the when it’s clear which one we mean:
•Can you turn of the light? (= the light in this room)

Phrases like the bank, the doctor, the dentist:
•I don’t like going to the dentist.
Phrases like ‘once a week’, ‘three times a day’, ‘1,50 a kilo

‘The earth’ as in the ground and ‘earth’ as in the planet, same goes for ‘the space’ and ‘space’.
•I listen to the radio a lot, but I watch television even more.
•What did you have for breakfast?

We don’t use the before noun + number. For example, we say:
•Our train leaves from Platform 5.
•Do you have these shoes in size 10?

We do not use the when we are thinking of the general idea of places (prison, hospital,  college):
•Ken’s brother is in prison. Ken went to the prison to visit him.
For Ken the prison is just a general place, not a specific place like ken’s brother knows it.

When we are talking about things or people in general, we don’t use the:
•I’m afraid of dogs.
Doctors are usually paid more than teachers.
Life has changed a lot in the last thirty years.

Difference between ‘something in general’ and ‘something specific’:
Children learn from playing (=children in general, every child)
• We took the children to the zoo (=a specific group, not every child)

We use the + adjective (poor, rich, homeless, old, injured, dead) to talk about groups of people:
•Do you think the rich should pay higher taxes?

The + country means ‘the people of that country’:
The French are famous for their food.

We don’t use the with names (of places, or mountains) (or streets, parks, roads), but we use the in names with Republic, Kingdom, States:
the United Kingdom (the UK)

But we do use the with plural (mv) names like:
The Taylors (= the taylor family) or the Johnsons
The Rocky Mountains, the Andes
WATCH OUT:
The North (of Brazil), but northern Brazil.
Most buildings (except for airports, stations, universities) have names with the:
The Sheraton Hotel, the Holiday inn

Names with of usually content the:
The Bank of England.
The Great Wall of China.

Some words can be singular or plural:
•series                                one television series     two television series
Some singular nouns are often used with a plural verb:
•government   the government (=they) have decided...

A large sum of numbers (fifty thousand pounds) is used as a singular verb:
Three years isn’t a long time (= not aren’t).

Difference:
• a sugar bowl (maybe empty)                • a bowl of sugar (full)
•It was a four-week course; the course lasted four weeks.

‘s and of...
We use –‘s  mostly for people or animals:
Tom’s computer isn’t working.
•How old are Chris’s children?
You can use –‘s without a noun after it:
•This isn’t my book, it’s my sister’s.

Bij enkelvoud gebruik je –‘s : •My sister’s room (zus)
Bij meervoud gebruik je –s’ : •My sisters’ room (zussen)
Tenzij het meervoud niet eindigt op –s, dan gebruik je gewoon –‘s:
The men’s room.

For things, ideas, we usually use of:
•The temperature of the water
•The name of the book

You can also use –‘s with time words:
•Do you have yesterday’s newspaper?
Next week’s meeting has been cancelled

Singular: myself
Plural: ourselves
We should blame ourselves.

We don’t use myself etc. After feel/relax/concentrate/meet:
•I feel nervous. I can’t relax.

Verschil tussen themselves en each other/one another:
•They looked at themselves (= zij keken naar zichzelf)
• They looked at each other (= zij keken naar elkaar)

•A friend of mine/yourse/his/Tom’s/ours/theirs’.
on my own means by myself. It’s the same as on his own means by himself

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten